Light Rain

48°F

Waitsfield

Light Rain

Wind: 8 mph

  • 22 Oct 2014

    Rain 49°F 43°F

  • 23 Oct 2014

    Rain 45°F 42°F

The Valley Reporter
P.O. Box 119
Waitsfield, VT 05673
802-496-3928
CONTACT INFORMATION

Valley Reporter on Facebook

The Valley Reporter Restaurant Guide
Calendar of Events for the Mad River Valley
The Valley Reporter Business Listings

Sugarbush hosts NE Ski Museum annual meeting honoring Stein Eriksen

10/25/2007

The New England Ski Museum will present its Spirit of Skiing award to Stein Eriksen at Sugarbush Resort during the museum's annual meeting on Saturday, November 17.

The award is intended to recognize a person whose life exemplifies the memorable adage that 'skiing is not just a sport, it is a way of life,' and who has influenced skiing in a positive manner and enabled others to benefit from the sport.

After dinner Eriksen will speak on his career in skiing, which extends back into his youth, when his parents Marius and Birgit Eriksen manufactured and sold Eriksen skis in Norway.
 
Stein Eriksen's graceful, acrobatic style of skiing defined elegance on snow for the generation of skiers who were active in the 1950s and 1960s, just as the sport was enjoying a burst of popularity and development. After coming to prominence in the 1952 Olympics with a gold medal run in giant slalom and a silver in slalom, Stein Eriksen moved from his native Norway to the U.S., where he operated ski schools at Heavenly Valley, Sugarbush, Aspen Highlands, Snowmass and Park City. Eriksen ran the Sugarbush Ski School in the early 1960s. He currently lives in Utah where he is the director of skiing for Deer Valley.
 
The Gate House will be the site of the museum's annual meeting and dinner. The meeting will mark the end of Glenn Parkinson's 10-year term as president of the museum. Parkinson, now of Freeport, ME, grew up in Waitsfield and will take his official leave of office on his home turf. Taking over the museum's top spot will be Bo Adams of Rochester, NH, whose ski history qualifications stretch back to his grandfather Carl Shumway, who was among the first party to ski in Tuckerman Ravine in 1913.
 
The event is open to the public, though space is limited. Reservations are made through the New England Ski Museum by calling 800-639-4181.
 
 The New England Ski Museum is located in Franconia Notch, NH, next to the Cannon Mountain Tramway. The museum is a nonprofit, member-supported museum dedicated to collecting, preserving and exhibiting aspects of ski history. The museum is open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. seven days a week from Memorial Day through the end of March. Admission is free. For more information call 800-639-4181 or visit www.skimuseum.org .
Share

Add comment

All comments are moderated. Please include your full name and email. Email address will not be shown but are necessary for confirmation.

Security code
Refresh